<VV> Wheel questions...

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Tue Nov 29 16:02:29 EST 2005

Uni-lug wheels require a special lug nuts and special off-center washers.
The lugnut has a larger diameter top and then steps down to a smaller diameter
that fits through the washer and extends 3/4" or so into the wheel.  You put
the wheel on the car, then install the off-center washers with the offset to the
hub side. (usually the wheels are 4/ 3/4" to 5" and we are the smaller)
Then, one-by one, you struggle to get all the lug nuts on and unless the wheel is
worn, it will be pretty close to centered.  The best thing to do (in addition
to the proper hardware) is to purchase centering rings so the wheels run true.
 Do not use tapered lug nuts.
Craig Nicol

I've stumbled upon a nice set of 14" aluminum wheels, but i'm not sure they
will work on my LM.  Here is the scoop:

The wheels are 14" x 5.5", with a 3.5" backspace.  The bolt pattern is 5
lugs, uni-lug.  The center hole is greater than the standard 2 7/8" of the
Corvair.  On top of all this, the studs aren't long enough to give me more
than a few threads when I put the wheels on.

Can I use uni-lug washers and tapered lug nuts?  How do I ensure the wheels
are centered?  Should I give up on these wheels?