<VV> Happy Birthday Corvair???? (LONG)

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Mon Oct 3 11:12:46 EDT 2005

Hmmm.  So far, Norm, you are the only person to respond with compassion.

Yes, I know it was stupid of me to run out of gas in an old car, at night,
on a busy highway.  Believe me, I do know exactly how stupid that was.

But.

The point of the story was that in spite of my stupidity, and against the
odds, somehow it all came out alright.  For whatever reason, a serious
accident was avoided.  My life, and probably the lives of others, were
spared.  A story such as that deserves to be treated with respect, for all
too often all we hear of is the opposite; the death and destruction that
results from man's stupidity or inhumanity to his fellow man.

We live in a dangerous world.  Safety and comfort are only an illusion we
hold onto every day.  Sometimes we get complacent, and that is where the
illusion can so quickly break down.  One minute everything is going great,
you are on top of the world; next minute everything changes and your life is
in jeopardy.

We are surrounded by people; some we know, most we don't.  Some are kind,
willing to help a stranger; most, unfortunately, don't want to get involved.
I met both types the past few days.  I am thankful for the strangers who
helped me, and I am sad for the others who cursed and drove away.

We are all human.  We all have our success stories, and we love to tell them
to others.  We also have our failures, our mistakes.  We don't like to talk
about them as much.  Lucky for us, most of our mistakes are minor, and do
little harm to ourselves or others.  Occasionally we are not so lucky.  If
we are fortunate enough to survive those serious mistakes, we try to learn
from them, to prevent from repeating them.  That is the nature of our
species.  It is sad to think of it, but it seems we mostly really learn only
from our mistakes - rarely from our successes.  It is also true that we do
not learn as well from other people's mistakes, perhaps thinking ourselves
better than they.

We are well reminded of the phrase, "There but for the grace of God go I".

But there was a second point to the story.  It was a Corvair story, after
all.

It wasn't the Corvair's fault I ran out of gas on the highway; it was my
fault.  Whoever or whatever gave us (me and the Corvair) a second lease on
life, we are thankful.  And we mean to enjoy that life, and to live it
fully.

So that is why I got back in that car the next day (fully loaded with fuel,
of course!) and drove it!

Enjoy the day, folks!

Bill Hubbell