<VV> Re: Fuel tank cleaning

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Mon Oct 3 14:04:06 EDT 2005

I just guess you're "Doing all right so far"

But my point is that with gasoline you can never be too careful.  It is only
safe when it is in the right places.  If your repair job ever does fail, you
may not live to tell about it.

Do you do a visual inspection of the tank's exterior to be sure it is not
rusting from below?  For that matter, do any of us?

Old cars should be carefully inspected at least annually - preferably by the
owner and driver, with an eye toward possible failure.  Prevention is better
than repair.

New gas tanks are available now, and IMO cheap, compared to your life.

For what it is worth, all my driven Corvairs have new gas tanks, hoses, and
seals before I put them on the road.

And as I learned this weekend, it's just as important to keep that new tank
filled with gas.....

Bill