<VV> Re: Fuel tank cleaning

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 3 14:26:43 EDT 2005

Hi Bill,

Yes, I appreciate the concerns involved.  I AM under the car from time to
time and take note of possible failures (not just the tank) when there.  New
ones AFAIK were not available at the time.  The original one was not rusted
through, not weeping gas, no pin holes showing.  But it did have some (not a
lot) rust scale and nasty stale gas on the inside.  The car had sat unused
for several years when I purchased it and the tank was only one of several
items which needed attention.  Not only did I coat the inside, but also put
a layer of roofing tar on the outside at that time in order to keep moisture
away from the bottom of the tank.

Even a new tank (if left long enough with stale gas) can start to rust.

Also, I am familiar with the vagaries of the gas gauge on each of my Vairs
(no two are the same) and "so far" have not run one out of gas.

So, "doing all right so far" is good enough for me on this sealing the tank
question.  BTW, I DID install all new brake lines while the tank was down.

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140 (times 2)
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140