<VV> Police Harassment / Antique Plates

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sun Oct 2 16:10:20 EDT 2005

At 02:32 hours 09/30/2005, UltraMonzaWest at aol.com wrote:
>What is this facination with Antique Plates?
>
>In Calif., who reportedly has high prices....Corvairs are $53  per
>year......Ore.  $55  for 2 yrs  Nev. $57 per year...

Holy shirt!   (battery acid spatters?)

Even custom personalized plates here are less than that.   Vintage
plates in VA are ten bucks, and that's a one-time flat rate
registration that's paid once and you're done, no renewal as long as
you keep the car insured.   These here cost around 160 bucks a year
under this vintage tags policy.

>Is it the Smog test??

No sniff test in SW VA.  However, some places in NoVA do require smog sniff.

There is another point in VA with vintage registrations.   VA doesn't
require a tax stamp (aka "city or county" sticker) to be displayed on
the windshield.  In VA, vintage vehicles are tax exempt (no property
taxes or usage taxes) and there for since the city and county decals
are a highway use tax stamp, vintage vehicles are tax-exempt and
don't require the decal to be displayed although the city/county here
will still be glad to sell you one if you want it and feel that local
gubmint doesn't already get enough of your taxable income as it
is.   Likewise the safety inspection decal seeing as how many vintage
vehicles do not include equipment that modern safety inspections
test/check such as airbags and safety belts and lights and defrosters
and window washers whatever else a vintage car might never have had
that would flunk a modern car if it didn't have the same functional
equipment.

The understanding in VA is that since many vintage vehicles cannot
meet a modern safety inspection because of the lack of many such
pieces of safety equipment, they will not be required to pass a VA
safety inspection, thus they need not display an inspection
decal/sticker.   However, if for whatever reason the car is involved
in an accident which was shown to have been caused by the failure of
a piece of equipment that a VA safety inspection would have
uncovered, it's your ass.

It is the vehicle owner/operator's responsibility to insure that his
vintage vehicle is indeed roadworthy, or all bets are off.   Get into
an accident because the brakes let go due to a busted hose that the
inspector would have flunked you for, and you stand liable to be sued
within an inch of your life and your insurance company may not cover you.

Check your vintage-registered car and make sure it's roadworthy, or else.

And yes there are still cops who don't know about vintage
registration regs although they're getting fewer these days; I have a
copy of vintage regs in the glovebox, so far so good.

tony..