<VV>Idle time

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Oct 2 16:49:23 EDT 2005

Thought my old dwell/rpm meter was bad but now am not so sure. Went to Pep
Boyz and picked up an Actron CP7677
"AutoTroubleShooter"  (http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16155
), a digital multimeter which includes RPM and Dwell ranges for 4, 6, and 8
cyl engines.

Dropped in a new battery and connected to negative side of coil and engine
ground. With engine off read zero correctly. Start engine and it goes
bananas with all 3 1/2 digits flashing on both dwell and rpm. Same engine
my old analog RPM meter read 4500 rpm at 50.

Put on test bench and fed in a nice stable 50 Hz and it read 1000 rpm. Fed
3000 Hz and read 6000 rpm just as supposed to. Put back on engine and
starts flashing again. DIsconnected alternator but no change.

Has anyone seen anything like this ? - is completely conventional
points/coil ignition, no modern electronics and in Monza so no tach (yet).

Padgett