<VV> Alternator running without battery

UltraMonzaWest at aol.com UltraMonzaWest at aol.com
Fri Oct 7 13:56:15 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/7/2005 10:40:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tsc01 at corvair.de writes:

> My 61 Rampside with LM engine, Alternator: User switched his brains off
> instead of the ignition: removed battery cable, and engine surprisingly
> just idled along ...
> Now the Gen/Alt light is dimly lighted when engine is running ...
>
> Sounds like the famous diode kill? Voltmeter still reads somehow
> reasonable, does that mean I have just lost some x % of alternator
> capability and for the moment could drive along if not pulling too much
> load out of it?
>
> Thomas

Depends on what Alt.!  External reg.  or internal?    Int. are bad that
way....

Use a volt meter......everything electrical ON......check voltage at BAT.
terms....rev engine if needed...

14.3vdc  or better...you're OK!

PS   before electronics....that WAS the way to test your charging system...or
get a car started with no jumper cables.....swap batteries with a good  one!

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Mr. DeckRug