<VV> Re: No Corvair Opinions Wanted

Garth Stapon stapon1 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 7 21:40:12 EDT 2005

Ok, here goes.

I never, never thought I would ever consider buying a new truck, but I have a few special requirements to consider.

Yes, I know it's hard to believe, but I like Snowmobiling more than playing with my Corvair (Flame on!) For those greenies out there, I drive a V twin - 1000 cc Skidoo - 4 stroke @ double the gas mileage and 1/2 the emissions of a two stroke.

I travel 3-4K miles in Jan/Feb/March in search of the almost extinct snow flake.

I have been using my wife's FWD Passatt as my tow vehicle and have seen some scary road conditions (especially North of Lake Superior last February).

Now I also want to keep the miles low on my Vair so think I will also take the plunge and buy a used trailer.

No use for a Power Stroke or Cummings pick me up as I still have kids.

>From my research, Uncle Sam is going to put quite a strangle hold on truck manufactures starting in 2007 basically making it very difficult for the manufacturers to meet emission requirements with a diesel, so the 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Diesel 4X4 did see life again in 2006, but will likely be killed at the end of this model year. (Unless low sulphur diesel fuel becomes widely available).

As with any new engine, there were some development problems in 2005, which have been addressed in 2006.

So here is the deal.

2006 Liberty Sport CRD - 2.8 L - 4 cylinder turbo diesel, 160 HP, 295 ft pounds of torque.

All the specs are listed in this link.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/auto_technology/1215782.html?page=1&c=y -

Can you believe the highway mileage?

Driving around on top of a lot of battery acid is a noble cause in the name of saving the planet, but considering Ford wants 30 K for their hybrid Escape, it is currently out of my tax bracket.

Back to the Liberty Diesel.

Cruise, air, 2 air bags, abs, electronic stability control, CD, satellite radio, power locks, power windows, 5 speed automatic and aluminum rims.

Jeep's web site lists the price for this truck at 27K.

They have been making the gas model of this truck since 2002 so I think most of the chassis bugs are likely worked out.

Towing capacity is 5,000 pounds.

Out the door the dealer wants $ 22,900 plus tax & registration.

Keep in mind the equivalent gas motor can be had for 19K with the rebate.

With the amount I drive, it will take about 8 years to pay for the difference just from fuel savings @ $ 3.00 / gallon.

I see the extra investment as my part in using less fuel, so this is not being driven strictly by economics.

Ok...I am sitting down.

I want and value your collective opinions.

Yes I know I can wait three years and buy one used, but that ride last winter was a bit much to handle in a fwd car.

A Jeep is really an AMC right?

Its made in NA, so that must count for something!

Regards, Garth

Happy Thanksgiving to the Canadians on the list!