Better Mileage - was<VV> Re: No Corvair Opinions Wanted

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sat Oct 8 15:46:51 EDT 2005

        My 1995 Trans Sport with the 3800 engine (232 cubic inches) has
recently gotten 28 mpg on long highway trips (with A/C on).  But I drive at 60 to
65 mpg and try to stay in top (4th) gear as much as possible, keeping the revs
from exceeding 2000 rpm except for very brief periods.
       Generally, at highway speeds it's better (mpg wise) to keep ALL
windows closed and use heating or cooling as necessary to keep comfortable.  That
minimizes the wind resistance and the power required to move the vehicle.
       Stay in as high a gear as possible, even though the manifold vacuum
reading will be LOWER than it would be in a lower gear.  Don't worry about
"lugging" the engine as long as you keep a reasonable position on the accelerator
pedal.  I remember decades ago driving the Corsa 140 through small towns late
at night on the way to Lime Rock at around 1500 rpm in 4th gear with light
throttle pressure to minimize the noise since one of the 2 mufflers had fallen off
the car halfway on our trip.  The idea was to keep the noise level down to
avoid alerting the local constabulary and getting a ticket.  It worked and the
engine survived so it could get us back and forth to the KY CORSA Convention
(about 1500 miles roundtrip).
       The other secret to better mileage is maintaining a BIG space between
you and the cars ahead of you.  This enables you to simply "back off" the
throttle in response to disruptions in the traffic flow ahead of you instead of
having to jam on your brakes. When you take your foot off the "go pedal", modern
EFI cars will actually shut off the fuel injectors at highway speeds so until
the car slows down to around 35 mph you are actually getting INFINITE miles
per gallon.  Every time you use your brakes you are converting the momentum of
the car into HEAT which is wasted gasoline energy that contributes NOTHING to
your mpg.  If you can get 100,000 miles to a set of brakes you are getting the
best possible mileage from your car.
       "Anticipatory driving" as Bob Marlow succinctly puts it, is an
extension of the "big space" concept since it enables you to respond as soon as
possible to
disruptions in traffic by increasing the TIME you have to react so you can
hopefully avoid over use of the brakes.
       Frank "frugal" Burkhard