Door Spring <VV> My bad luck.., or Why I won't be driving my Corvair this..

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sat Oct 8 15:46:55 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/7/05 10:17:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
whubbell at cox.net writes:

> Because when I came home this evening I found I cannot
> raise the garage door.  One of the (very heavy duty) garage door springs
> that help raise the door has broken.  By the time I could get somebody out
> here to repair the spring the show would be over.  Since Alice is inside the
>
> garge, she isn't going anywhere real soon.

Bill,
       It is possible to raise the door without the help of the springs, but
it will take 2 or 3 strong people to do so, depending on the weight of the
door.  When the single torsion spring broke on one of my garage doors, it took
both Jim and myself to raise the door.  Once the door is fully elevated, the
tension is off the spring so it can then be replaced.  I took my broken spring to
a garage door place and they wound me a new one to exactly replace the broken
one.  With the garage door up, I could install the new spring myself since at
that point, there is no tension on the spring.
       Frank "do it yourself" Burkhard