<VV> Steering boxes

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Sun Oct 9 14:45:05 EDT 2005

As some of you may know, I'm heavily involved in street rods; I run a shop
specializing in street rods and custom cars.  Over the last 10 years, I have
NEVER seen a Corvair steering box on any one of them!  I don't know what the
configuration would be that uses one - perhaps a bucket T with a four-bar and a
beam axle.  The dominant configuration is an aftermarket rendition of Mustang II
/ Pinto (Fox-body) suspension using a Mustang II rack and pinion steering
system (and thats almost always the highly required power steering rack).  They
days of using a Corvair subframe are LONG gone.  The "Heits" or "Fat Man"
tubular-arm, 11" disc brake, Mustang II power rack combination is in 90% of the
rods I see and work on.  I don't see many building bucket "T"s - they aren't
practical cars and are limited to short-run, sunny day use.  Given the
reproduction boxes that are available (in the required "reversed" form) I wouldn't worry
about a relatively small number of original boxes going that way.  Use the
money to buy Corvair parts you really need!
Craig N.