<VV> Turbo Hesitation

David Baker dbaker10 at twcny.rr.com
Mon Oct 10 08:56:36 EDT 2005

Everyone,

I have a '64 Spyder with the turbo engine. It runs well, starts
well hot or cold, and don't seem to have some of the problems
other claim to have with the YH carb.

The car does stumble or hesitate after I back off the throttle,
then step on it again. It happens whether I'm in town driving
slowly, let off on the gas to slow down a little, then ease into
the throttle again, or on the highway.

There's just a little lag between the time I step on the gas
again and the time the car starts to accelerate again. It makes
the car jerk a little everytime it happens. I've gotten used to
it, so I know it's going to happen.

The only other turbo Corvair, or any Corvair that I've driven for
that matter was in the early 70's, so I have nothing to compare
it to , so I don't know if it's "normal" or not. Is it because
the carb is so far from the intake valves that causes the
lag/jerk? Is this "normal" for a turbo Corvair, or is there
something to look for to reduce/prevent this?

The carb is stock, I have a Pertronix I, .030 overbore, Otto
OT-20 cam, Bosch W8AC plugs, Flamethrower coil, Silicone plug
wires. Thanks for any suggestions.

Dave Baker