<VV> Steering boxes

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Mon Oct 10 10:33:28 EDT 2005

By the way, I thought the same thing initially when I talked with Seth about
doing this conversion. Then he explained that I would gain some safety by
going this route so it was then a no-brainer. The adapter that FR supplies
has a sliding section to it so, in case of a front end collision, the wheel
won't attempt to take off my head.

This is a useful improvement for '65 and '66. If I remember correctly, the
'67 and later stock columns have collapsible sections. Also, the FR design
puts the U-joint right next to the box, which is also safer. The late '65 /
'66 long shaft box has the U-joint quite high on the shaft.

--Kent

P.S. Support our Corvair vendors--if you buy one of these boxes, please buy
from Seth!