<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 9, Issue 57---Smart Car

Taruffi57 at aol.com Taruffi57 at aol.com
Mon Oct 10 11:44:28 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/9/2005 5:48:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

just  read an interview with the new chief at Daimler (Juergen Schremp sp?)
and he  clearly stated that in view of recent fuel price increases they are
looking at  importing Smart cars into NA.

I have been trying to buy one of these for the last year+ but the very few
which have come through Ebay have been jacked up over $10,000. They sell for
about $10 - $13K in Europe but they can be EPA/DOT'd legal here.  The 3  cyl(?)
turbo diesel with A/C and airbags would be the trick "screw you" message  to
the Oil Barons.

I saw a few earlier this year on the Autostrada in northern Italy but they
were usually the slowest vehicles on the road and everyone was blowing by  them.
Actually, Smart announced nearly a year ago that they would bring in a  Smart
car but it isn't the little square tail car we know.  It is a bigger,
different car.

Joe Dunlap
Central Florida
'64 Monza conv., '69 Coupe, 140, 4 spd., street  hooligan