<VV> Re: HELP !! -- Changing wheel/axel studs on a LM

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Oct 10 13:21:38 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/10/2005 8:36:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Taruffi57 at aol.com writes:

Has  anyone ever changed rear wheel studs without removing the wheel spindle

flange?

I have just popped them out with a hammer. Never a problem. The replacement
stud installation depends on the length. I just installed the 3" ones
available  from Moroso onto my 65. (The Moroso studs have a nice lead diameter before
the  threads.) The front install was easy. Insert the stud, stack greased
washers  over it, invert a normal lug nut and impact/pull the sucker in. On the
rear, the  hole in the flange was decidedly smaller than the front. You couldn't
tell  visually, but the same studs were much harder to pull into place than
on the  front hubs. The problem you may find on the rear is finding enough
clearance  behind the flange to get the long stud into the hole in back of the
flange. I  was converting to disks, so I had no brake backing plate interference,
and it  was still tight around the bearing casting. If you are just going to
the 1.75"  long Corvette studs, this shouldn't be a problem. - Seth  Emerson