<VV> Re: Steering boxes (& shafts)

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 10 13:38:31 EDT 2005

Kent wrote:

> The late '65 /'66 long shaft box has the U-joint quite high on the shaft.

What u-joint is this? Maybe I am forgetting something, but, except for the teleys, I recall a steering box on one end and a steering wheel on the other for those looong shafts. If you think about them enough, you drive like every idiot on the road (including one's self) has a hardened steel spear pointed right at your heart. Great safety device, imo. So much for LM engineering ...

I hope someone can set me right ...

These shafts do make a great 'long extension' by cutting a short half or three/eights inch socket extension into two pieces and brazing one end onto each end of the shaft.

Actually, cutting the shaft between the box and the column, shortening it appropriately, and then grinding/filing 'double D' flats onto each piece and installing the appropriate u-joint wouldn't be a bad idea. Or folks like FR can sell you the pieces to do this. Sounds like they have an adjustable shaft for $150 that also probably can collapse linearly.

Bill Strickland