<VV> RE: Steering boxes (& shafts)

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Mon Oct 10 20:36:09 EDT 2005

OK, so maybe "u-joint" was not the exact right wording to use to describe
the coupler that sits on the end of the '66-style steering column and
connects to the end of the shaft coming out of the stock steering box. Its
function is somewhat the same; allow for some movement side to side and/or
up and down.

In any case, when we installed the FR box in my car, we had to press out the
roll pin that holds the coupler to the steering column and remove it, so
that the FR sliding shaft could be bolted in place. That is a big roll
pin--it's 12 mm, solid steel (hardened I assume too).

--Kent