<VV> Re:Steering boxes and "T"buckets

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Oct 9 14:21:54 EDT 2005

>Folks
>I have no ability  to read Scott Morehead's mind. I have no idea what he's
>doing with these steering boxes.
>
>OTOH, I haven't seen any ad or representation that says Scott has gone into
>the steering box rebuild/sales business either. At least not in any Corvair
>literature or lists I am privy to.
>
>I have been asked MANY times by T-Bucket Street Rodders, and other Hot Rod
>types as well, for Corvair steering boxes, and they do offer to pay well for
>them.  But when the person says it's for a non-Corvair car, they get a
>"Sorry, can't help you".
>
>I DO know that 30 years from now if I need a steering box, I don't want to
>have to buy a used one from a hot rod guy, he'll want 300.00 for it.
>
>As has been mentioned here, prices for a rebuildable box run from 75 to 125
>dollars.
>
>IFO refuse to make profit at the predictable prospect of not having steering
>boxes available for the future.
>
>I believe Larry Shapiro also offers 25 bucks for steeering boxes, I sold him
>3 a few years back. Then again, I know they won't be going in a 34 T-Bucket
>if Larry gets them.
>
>Perhaps with so many requests for information, Scott will deign to enlighten
>his prospective customers. Then again, he might tell us it's none of our
>business what he does with them, and he would be well within his rights to
>do so.
>
>As for me, (and nothing personal against Scott)I have  6 steering boxes, and
>I won't be selling any of them to anyone who's looking to buy in bulk, as I
>would be reasonably certain they would be going to a NON Corvair vehicle.
>
>Hank

I did a google search on " corvair steering boxes" and it is
enlightening. Several hits on people and companies selling reversed and
rebuilt boxes to the "T" bucket crowd from $250 to $350. Returning a
core gets you a $75 credit.  So it does seem the Corvair box that needs
rebuilding has a value to some people of $75.
Here is a  sample from a discussion:

Date: Thursday, 15 September 2005, at 11:27 a.m.

    Hello- I have sold lots of Corvair steering boxes to members and
    friends of the NTBA. This stands for the National T bucket Alliance.
    An organazation devoted to the T bucket Roadster. Friends and family
    alike enjoy these little cars since it's inception. Please travel
    safely and enjoy yourselves. Mikey

What gets me is that "T" bucket people could buy a new Flaming River box
for around the  same money.  One good discussion of  why "T" buckets use
Corvair boxes can be found at:
http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0505sr_steering/

I hope this answers where our steering boxes can be going.
Opposing viewpoint: Of course if you are sending Corvairs to the crusher
with the steering boxes still hanging under them, then why the fuss?

Frank DuVal