<VV> MPG

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 10 19:40:33 EDT 2005

So, let's see..  Regular is $0.15 cheaper than premium here.  That's 5%, or
in my case equivalent to a little more than 1 MPG.  For that cost (about
$65/year), I get way more fun at close to 10:1 CR.  Actually, I might be
getting more than an additional 1 MPG due to increased efficiency at the
higer CR.  I'll be interested to see if the 3.6L engine is much different
when I get it in.

Hopefully, next winter, I'll be putting on a Megasquirt EFI using 6
motorcycle throttle bodies.  Way too much fun.  Maybe $1500 by the time I
get through.  Maybe 2-3 MPG improvement (optimistic).  Hmmm....  Can't use $
as an excuse for that mod - just have to admit it's a hobby.

As for the economics of trading up for a new car....  There's a minefield
there.  Assuming that you pay $15,000 cash for the car, at $1000 a year it
will take a little over 21 years to pay back the $15K and the lost interest.
If you finance the car, it will be worse because of the fine deal you'll get
on the loan - say 25 years to pay back.

Gas prices aren't anywhere near high enough to make economics a reason to do
much of anything.  It's not the price that makes us do stuff, it's the rate
of change of the price.  SUV sales are in the tank (sorry), but it won't
last.  The elephant herds will return when we get used to $3 gas.

There are only a couple of reasons to make any kind of car change:
1)  Your wife wants a new one.
2)  It's a cooler car

Roger