<VV> Gas pedal Epidemic

Wade Halsey HiHal at adelphia.net
Tue Oct 11 21:17:46 EDT 2005

About a week ago we had a thread concerning accelerators suddenly going
to the floor with the engine speed dropping  to idle. I even wrote a
reply, part of which appears below.

> ---------the next most likely would be the attachment to the bottom of
> the accelerator pedal itself.

Well, today it was my turn. My gas pedal went to the floor on a busy
highway with two lanes shut down for construction. There was just enough
room for me to pull over on the shoulder. The linkage seemed intact from
the carb crossover back to where the accelerator rod enters the center
tunnel. I disconnected the accelerator return spring and turned it
around backwards so it hooked on the alternator mount. I adjusted by ear
(no tach) to what I thought would allow me to keep up with construction
zone traffic (speed limit 45 MPH). I misjudged on the low side by 15 MPH
so I pulled over again and increased the RPMs. It sounded like too much
but back in the construction zone it was right on at 40-45 on the level
ground. I managed to do a U-turn in one of those "official use only"
median turn arounds that the Highway Patrol uses and was headed back in
the direction of my home still at 45. When I came into town, I
considered adjusting the RPMs down but decided to control speed with the
brakes for the last 4 miles to my home. Powerglide made this little
adventure easier.

The culprit that caused all this-------a little "C" clip where the
accelerator pedal connects to the accelerator linkage running through
the center tunnel. I wire brushed the connection, bought a C-clip at the
hardware store and put it all back together. Everything is back to
normal here.  Anybody know what kind of rockers I should order? :-D

Wade Halsey