<VV> Rocker arms et al. (apologies for being long-winded)

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Oct 13 16:51:09 EDT 2005

But wait!

Who is this "CORSA" people keep talking about?  I wrote an (intended to
be humorous) piece on that a number of years ago an the subject.
Perhaps, it's worth thinking about that for a moment.  There appears to
be a perception that CORSA is an SCCA-like organization with a big HQ
building and TV contracts and a multi-million dollar sponsor driven
budget.  CORSA is really just a big version of many local chapters -
run on volunteer power and a company formed by two CORSA members.  "The
magazine isn't worth $40."  Well, is your local newsletter worth
whatever your dues are?  No?  Mine isn't either (apologies to our
newsletter editor :-).  Then why be a member?

Today I'm hearing that the people who answer the questions on this
forum - who all do it on their own time - aren't doing a good enough
job.  Yesterday I heard that CORSA  - those two guys and a bunch of
volunteers - need to set up a school.  What about all the CORSA members
who already help other folks - not always members - build engines,
troubleshoot problems, and give advice?  What about the tech sessions
at so many events?  Are those not classes by another name?

VV members went out and wrote a book to cover many questions.  Today I
hear people don't want to buy and read that book, even if it answers
the exact question asked - and maybe a bunch more the questioner never
asked.  Wasn't writing that book an effort on the part of those
writers?  Doesn't that count for something?  Nobody's "handing them a
book and saying learn from it" - the point is to understand the subject
up front to frame a good question, or be able to understand the answer
better.  What's wrong with that?  It's a little hard for me to come to
your house in Seattle, but I can tell you where to find the info from
here in Virginia.  I also helped write one of those "books", and have a
pretty large web site with Corvair info on it.  That's not good enough?

--Bryan
Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa