<VV> Dash Plaques in the old days

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Thu Oct 13 20:04:28 EDT 2005

When did dash plaques get so darn big?  And why?  Used to be you could get 4
plaques out of what is now one.  These certainly are not for displaying on
your dash anymore, unless you only do 2 or 3.

When I belonged to a sports car club in the late 60's, early 70's I did some
autocrossing, but mostly rallying.  The plaques you got then where much
smaller that what you get now.  The circular ones were about the size of a
50 cent piece and the square about an inch to an inch and a half with the
rectangular ones about 3/4 inch, to an inch by 2 or 3 inches.  You could
really decorate you glove box and dash with a colorful array of  plaques.
These were all metal with adhesive backing, since many of the sports cars
had wooden dashes.  I peeled all mine off the car when I got rid of it and I
still have some of them.  I've thought about putting them in my Corvair to
give it a period look.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member