<VV>Books

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Oct 13 22:38:22 EDT 2005

>Every Corvair owner should at least have the factory manual for their car.

I do (and Clark's and "Classic" and "Alive") all of which are about 5/8"
thick, the same as my Chilton's for the Corvair). In contrast I have quite
a few Buick and Pontiac shop manuals that are more like 2" each and you
would not want to fall on your toe. Can see about 20-25 feet of automotive
service literature from where I am sitting, just have barely a foot of
Corvair. So far.

The thing is that most Corvair books assume at least a basic understanding
which is fine but it is the subtleties which most books assume that I have
not found. These subtleties are what make the difference between a car that
limps along and one that runs properly. Am also slowly dusting off (and in
some cases replacing) the test equipment I had when last into Covair's.
Like many, have been wrenching for quite a few years but that does not tell
you how to detect a blocked idle vent when a wire slides in nicely
(blockage was further down). An expert can tell by putting their hand on
the carbs which is running right but a book cannot tell you that.

After a month and a half (and some really expert help), my new car seems to
be finally idling well. The latest discovery being a voltage regulator set
to about 17v but will find out more when the in-car puller arrives in the
next few days so that I can replace the balancer with the Dale rebuild that
is on the workbench and the next Clark's package arrives which should
contain a new PE needle.

The bottom line is that I try not to ask stupid questions, just ignorant
ones and usually am looking for things I cannot find in the book (though
quite often after I understand what was happening it turns out there was a
mention...)

No, my library is not yet complete, but it is getting better as I find out
what is needed. And no I do not always know what is the right question to
ask (but where I do know something I try to help). Frankly I usually enjoy
the banter that means nothing serious is going on. I hope that others do
also. Do know that the Internet is the best thing to happen to the car
hobby and has made collecting possible for some.

Padgett