<VV> lower shroud question

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 15 00:04:12 EDT 2005

Art,
I remove and replace mine every year.  No matter what some folks say, it
does make a significant difference in the pinging on my 10:1 CR engine.

Depending on where you live, you may or may not need to worry about putting
the doors back on.  I haven't had doors for 20 years or more - I just run
the shrouds in the winter without the doors.  But, then, it doesn't really
get all that cold here in Austin - it only freezes a few days a year.  I
still get plenty of heat as long as I run the fan.

If you live in the frozen north, rumor has it that the engine will never get
warm without the doors.  Myself, I doubt that seriously.  The heads are
going to run about 200-250 degrees above ambient where ever you are.  But,
you might not get enough hot air to overcome all that zero degree air
leaking into the cabin from outside.  I know that my heater can't keep up
below 45 degrees unless I put the top up - even with the heat blowing up my
coat sleeve.  ;-)

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I'm ruining my engine by having it warm up so
slowly without the doors.  I'm sure that's what has caused the dropped seats
and the broken cam gear, the only problems I've had with the engine.  At
240K miles the crank journals were still in spec, so I don't see that the
cold oil is killing me.

Roger