<VV> Wear- Warm up

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Sat Oct 15 10:21:37 EDT 2005

I believe the key to engine longevity is quick warm-up like modern cars
exhibit. Rings in particular are subject to both fuel and oil (And very high
temperatures), while bearings for instance, unless oil is diluted by fuel,
never see much in the way of combustion products. Were I to have a street
Corvair (like I used to -both cars and FC's), I certainly would want a
functioning shroud, door, thermostat and heater systems.  Especially in the
colder months and more humid "cold" months like in wet Spring and Fall.  I
believe the period of cold rain, where there is a lot of condensation, has
to be the worst conditions for engines, due to the humidity and extreme
temperature changes the engine sees from cold start-up thru hot operation
and then cooling again with high moisture present.

IMHO

Chuck S