<VV> Re: rockers

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Sun Oct 16 12:25:56 EDT 2005

Get rockers from a vendor. If you are worried about high lift and the rocker
stud slot, check a standard old one for that. Set your valve stem tip and
rocker tip pad so that the contact patch is in the center of the stem when
at half lift. Generally, if you have the heads flycut to get a good gasket
surface, that removal of head material will compensate for a reground cam
(smaller base circle diameter) and you can use stock length push rods. (As
you move the head closer to the cam, because you milled the gasket surface,
the pushrod now pushes the rocker up and you effectively move the rocker up
so the tip on the other end of the rocker starts closer to the stud (unless
I have it backwards)..Therefore the up and down motion of the rocker tip now
has an arc across the stem face which is closer to the stud.  However, a
reground cam is smaller so the lifter and pushrod are father away from the
head-which effectively brings the pushrod end of the rocker back down about
to where it is stock, more or less.) You can generally use stock pushrods
for most applications and still be in the acceptable range of rocker tip
movement over the end of the stem. Now a NEW cam on a new cam core that has
a stock base circle combined with severely cut high compression heads will
result in a much closer distance between the head and the cam which means
you MUST compensate with different push rod lengths for proper
geometry-roller rockers or otherwise.

Chuck S
BBRT