<VV> Rochester request

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Oct 16 23:47:29 EDT 2005

Steve,
Please see below.
Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 10/16/05 8:18:10 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
contactsmu at sbcglobal.net writes:

> I took one of my new (from a well known vender, now dormant) Rochesters
> apart tonight in order to "soak the air horn gaskets and the venturi
> cluster gaskets in regular motor oil".

Excuse me, but WHY??? Why take a carb apart just to soak the gaskets in motor
oil? I can't believe that someone would suggest this. If having taken the
carb apart for some other reason, and if the gaskets are still intact, you could
*maybe* reuse them. But why would you take a carb apart to soak the gaskets in
oil??? It make no sense and putting oil into the carb is asking for residue
buildup and things sticking.

It was recommended that I do so > by a club member.

Please stay away from that person in the future.

I, rightly as it turned out, figured that it was

> probably pointless to try to save them after almost a year (10/4/2004
> is my meltdown commemoration date), but with little else to do as I try
> to find a remedy for my piston clearance dilemma, I took one of them
> apart a few minutes ago.  I think that may be why the Corvair gods gave
> us two carburetors, so greenhorns like myself can look at one while we
> try to figure how it goes back together (hopefully correctly).  Anyhow,
> it was missing a fuel filter gasket, the needle seat gasket, and the
> needle seat.  Can a carburetor operate without these items?

YES except for the lack of a needle SEAT. Without the seat, gas will just
pour into the bowl. Rebuilt by a reputable vendor you say???? Are you sure it's
missing the seat????

Mine ran

> fine for at least fifty miles!  Remember, I can't take the other one
> apart until I get this one back together, so I don't know what
> condition it's in or which parts it has.  I will have to re-order a
> bowl cover gasket on the first one as it tore around several of the
> cover screw holes when I removed the cover.
>
> My question is, how do you take the float spring pin out.  Do you just
> pull it out with pliers?

Yes, it just slides into place.

Will the spring action be altered once it

> comes out?  Will it need to be re-tensioned?

No and no.