<VV> 85 miles-4 qts

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Mon Oct 17 12:32:22 EDT 2005

I once had a '67 coupe (110/pg/posi/ac) that used virtually no oil around town, but would burn through a quart every 15-20 miles at highway speeds. The
issue was severe blowby due to stuck and/or cracked rings. (Heads were fresh... likely making the problem worse).  At idle you could remove the oil cap and
get some significant airflow out.... try that and see if you have blowby coming out.

Bill

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:39:22 -0400 (EDT), Don Schaefer wrote:

> Based on the POs statement, and what I had picked up from what I had read, I replaced the fuel pump, changed oil and filter before I even started it. Before
driving it home I replaced the fuel tank, hoses, filters, AND the fuel return which was blocked off at the filter. The old oil showed no sign or smell of fuel and
doesn't now. There is just a dime sized oil spot on my concrete, so it must be burning it? I'll be the first to admit I am inexperienced concerning engines and
engine work. I have a Chevy mechanic who will advise me, but I'm not sure how much he knows about Corvairs. I have most of the books to help. ThanksDon
Schaefer