<VV> Re: Wire Wheels

Garth Stapon stapon1 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 18 00:05:19 EDT 2005

Bill:

I run tubes in mine.

Sealing issues vanish!

http://www.coker.com/

Regards, Garth

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris & Bill Strickland <lechevrier at earthlink.net>
Sent: Oct 17, 2005 9:00 PM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Re: Wire Wheels

Admittedly, I have never been fortunate enough to own a wire wheeled
Vair, but I do have an old BMC with them.

You need six wheels, at least -- four on the car, one for a spare (solid
disk knock offs are hard to come buy unless you have them made), and one
(or more) at the wheel shop being re-trued.
And then there are the issues with sealing them and can they be adjusted
without resealing, and are there any radial tubes available for the size
tire you want.

The large polyurethane dead blow hammers work well on eared knock offs,
but the amount of grease you really should be using with them keeps them
dirty and makes them a real pain to try and keep clean.

Yes, a lot of wire wheeled cars these days are trailer material,
especially if the wheels look clean.

In the day, is was not unusual to see a big Healy come into a hard
corner and collapse one of the outside wheels ...   Not recommended for
drag racing on the drive axle.

Bill Strickland