<VV> Serpentine Belt?

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Tue Oct 18 17:08:04 EDT 2005

Oh boy, don't talk to ME about serpentine belts!  I went to pick up my wife
at the airport last week in my '96 Dodge Caravan.  The idler pulley was
squealing loudly (Dodges all do that as they get older) and annoying me, so
I decided to spray a little WD-40 on it to quiet it down.  Well, of course,
I overdid it and the belt slipped off!  I tried like hell to get the belt
back on without any tools. but no luck.  I had to call a tow truck to come
down to the airport (I was stuck in the short term parking garage at
$1/hr!).  It took two hours before the tow truck arrived (my wife was NOT
amused!) - lucky for me he had tools and we were able to get the belt back
on.

If it had been a Corvair, I could have driven it (slowly) home without the
belt.  Not possible with a water pumper -- the belt runs the water pump and
the on-board computer would have the engine down as soon as it got too
hot -- with my luck, probably on the highway (I know the exact place!!!!)

Serpentine belt vs. Corvair belt?  Give me the Corvair belt any day!!!!!

Bill Hubbell (whose cars don't like him very much these days!)