<VV> apolgies re rant & CHT

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Oct 18 23:41:57 EDT 2005

>Personally, I do not care for them but I always wear a seat belt. Have
>mixed emotions. Florida stopped requiring mortorcycle riders to wear a
>helmet some years ago. My opinion is that anyone who doesn't wear a helmet
>on a bike is dumb but agree it should be a personal choice. (My license is
>endorsed for "motorcycle also").
>
>Do understand that if it were not a requirement, few would buy as an option
>since it would be over $1000 so have mixed feelings on the subject. Of
>course since we do not have a National Health Plan either (a few years ago
>my wife was injured while in the UK. National Health there worked very
>well.) of people's stupidity do not affect my tax dollars.
>
>OTOH if the government feels its citizens are property then it would not
>want them injuring themselves (when in the military we were told that a bad
>sunburn could be grounds for a courts martial).
>
>So have enough mixed emotions about the subject not to have a real opinion
>other than my personal cars do not have airbags.
>
>Meanwhile back to Corvairs - got the harness for the dual CHT gauges run
>and the gauge itself is now mounted where the clock is supposed to go inna
>Monza dash (seems to be a good place for any 2"-3" gauge). May not even
>bother putting in the Corsa dash I just repainted , this should tell me all
>I need to know and a tach is not necessary with a PG.
>http://padgett.ws/files/dashcht.jpg .
>
>Now I just need to wire the engine compartment. From the info gathered from
>VV the plan is to put the senders on the #2 and #5 plugs since these seem
>to be the most likely to drop valves in overheat.
>
>Padgett

Three  items:
1. Seat belts must be worn for air bags to do their job properly.

2. If you doubt that air bags do indeed save lives you need to come up
to Ruckersville, VA  and visit the IIHS. At the Insurance Institue for
Highway Saftery (the place where car crash testing is done as shown on
Dateline and other news shows) and see the two Chrysler Lebarons in the
lobby that hit head on on a two lane road in nearby Culpepper county.
The State Trooper who came upon the wreck knew from experience that the
drivers were killed, but who were the two people walking around the
scene? The Drivers!  This was the first wreck in the world where two
cars were equiped with driver side air bags.

3. You do not own any personal car newer than 1992? You sound like me
until recently.

Collector car interest:

The first car they tested at the IIHS site when it was built in 1992 was
a 1972 Chevrolet That was equiped with the first generation air bag. It
performed flawlessly at 20 years old. What a waste of a collector car!
It was a one owner cream puff.

More info on the IIHS vehicle research center can be found at :
http://www.hwysafety.org/ratings/vrc/default.html

Frank DuVal
Was in collision work for 13 years,  now take saftey much more seriously.