<VV> Early tires

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Wed Oct 19 16:49:21 EDT 2005

On Oct 19, 2005, at 10:21 AM, Wrsssatty at aol.com wrote:

> <175/80/13 or 185/70/13? The 175's are getting harder to find for an
> early
> model in whitewall. Any suggestions as to tire size and brand(s)?
>
> Bob Vukas>
>
> I posed a similar question to larry claypool last summer regarding my
> '63
> Monza and he recommended that I buy 175-80x13 with a 1" whitewall
> which is
> available from Diamond Back Classics.  He recommended his buddy Rick,
> a Corvair guy
> who is a dealer for Diamond Back Classics.  I followed his advice and
> am quite
> happy. Rick can be reached at (574) 753-5720.  The tires ain't cheap
> but they
> are good as well as being stock/correct.

It is true that these are nice tires and probably good replacements for
many people. However, they are not the same diameter as the stock
6.50-13's.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, a 185/80-13 is essentially the
same diameter as a stock 6.50-13. The 175/80-13 is a little smaller.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC