<VV> Early tires

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Wed Oct 19 22:27:46 EDT 2005

On Oct 19, 2005, at 10:17 PM, Chris & Bill Strickland wrote:

> Bruce wrote:
>> a 185/80-13 is essentially the same diameter as a stock 6.50-13
>
> Well, that is a nice theory, and theoretically it should be true, but
> in the practical world of buying tires, a side by side comparison of
> an original 6.50-13 to the tire you are buying is the only real
> measure that you can trust. I have seen tires the same size from
> different manufacturers vary over two inches in diameter, and then
> there are those tires of the same brand name but a different "line" or
> "model" and I have seen those also vary in actual physical size.
>
> And this is not to mention those tires that -- I'll call it 'change'
> -- that change size when mounted and inflated -- some do, some don't.
>
> Tires are like shoes -- you buy 'em over the internet, you get what
> you pay for. They need to be purchased directly and "tried on" -- just
> like we all used to buy shoes. Some of us probably still do. You get a
> better fit.
>
> I have a pair of custom made boots and was told they are about a 9 1/2
> C -- they still fit and are the same size they used to be. I have
> several pairs of Tony Lama boots in that same size. However, if I go
> buy a pair of 'athletic shoes' made in SE Asia, they need to be at
> least 11 and sometimes bigger to fit.
>
> Now, since rants seem to be all the rage, I'm sure you don't want me
> to rant on about tires, but I just do not understand folks who post to
> automotive lists asking what size shoes should I buy. Maybe your ride
> height is different (and I dare say that they probably are *all*
> different what with the age of the cars & some have newer springs
> etc), maybe the interior dimensions of your wheel well are different
> -- how would someone else know what fits *your* car?!!

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning exactly. The discussion wasn't
about maintaining ride height or anything else. It was about tire
sizes.

I made my comments because I know what the diameter of original 6.50-13
tires were. I also know the diameter of modern tires. You are very
correct in saying that they vary a little but any tire that varies by
two inches has something wrong with it or else it's manufacturer is
clueless. It's also true that radials are just not the same as bias
tires. The bias tires may actually get larger as they wear; the radials
will get smaller. They don't deflect the same either when loaded. But
all in all, I can say with confidence that a typical, properly sized
and manufactured 185/80-13 tire is very close to the diameter of an
original Corvair 6.50-13 tire.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina