<VV> Rotation & Tempest V-8

Debbie Duval dduval at erols.com
Thu Oct 20 23:34:24 EDT 2005

Yes, the 1961 to 1963 Tempest used the Corvair transaxle assembly. The
Torque converter on the PG units hung out in the open to the rear of the
axle. The propeller shaft drove through the transmission ( a different
cover was used), through the differential, and into the torque
converter, then back through the differential, to the transmission to
turn around again and drive the differential.  Take a look in the
Chiltons from 1963, it is an amusing setup. And remember, the 1963
Tempest was available with the Pontiac 326 ci in V-8. All this power
through a Corvair PG, 3 speed or 4 speed early style tranny and rear axle!

Yes, I checked the Chilton's so not to rely on memory alone.  But I do
remember seeing the torque converters spinning  anytime the engine was
running.

Frank DuVal