<VV> Ignition Switch Question

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Oct 23 00:00:05 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/22/2005 8:17:06 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tampatexan at earthlink.net writes:

On my  '65 Monza, the ignition key can be removed in any position -- Off,
Run,  Accy ---  is this normal?  Or should I buy a new keylock  assy??

Thanks in advance

Jim Houston
Brandon,  FL

It isn't correct, but it is normal (by now). It is due to wear. The earlies
had this as a "feature", with their assisted switch design, you could pull the
 key in the off position and start and stop the car without the  key. People
who left their car like this could return to find it gone!  If the key was
pulled in the lock postion, the switch wouldn't turn. In  the 65. there is no
"off" position, just accessory, lock, on and start  positions. (Off is lock on
the 65-up). The key should be retained in the switch  in the Accessory, On and,
of course, Start positions. If the key is removed  in the "On" position, how
could you turn off the car?  (The 65 has a flat  front ignition switch, rather
than the "tapered guide" of the  earlies) You  might start thinking about a
replacement.

Seth  Emerson
Sethracer at aol.com
C's the day! Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette