<VV> Interesting car for sale - NO CORVAIR

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Oct 24 17:53:40 EDT 2005

At 11:03 hours 10/24/2005, Marc  Marcoulides wrote:
>I remember the Jenson Interceptor, was it also known as the Jenson Healey?

Nope.   The Interceptor was an entirely different creature with
nothing of any sort of connection to Austin-Healey or the
Jensen-Healey products.    It was kinda "loosely" associated with
Chrysler for a B-engine driveline.   The Interceptors were never able
to live up to their real potential, far as performance cars went,
since they tended to be a bit nose-heavy and they had really tight
engine bays making service a bit of a problem when you stuff a B or
RB bigblock Mopar engine into a small car like the Interceptor, which
ironically was still larger than most Brit cars of the day.    A
friend of mine has one, nicely laid out inside and the lines are
good, but I bet there aren't many people who would say it's a
bitchin' handler.   It *is* good for burning tires off the
back  end.    The Interceptor when fitted with Mopar muscle was more
of what the Jensen Bros envisioned as a Brit high powered touring
car.   By the way, Jensen had been in the car body contract  business
for a long time before they decided to make something with their own
name on it.   Before, they'd built some car bodies for Austin, Volvo,
and Sunbeam I think...  however if memory serves, I think the
Interceptor body was actually built in Italy, with Jensen doing the
interiors and outfitting all the mechanicals and trim.

Incidentally, the Volvo P1800 body was built by Jensen.

Most Interceptors were fitted with Mopar 383 big block engines
although a few of the early '70s vintage cars had 440 engines, such
as the one my friend owns.    In nice shape, they're worth a serious
buck or two.

Jensen went belly-up shortly after the OPEC oil thing hit home for
real, and the Interceptor went with it.   Still, I think Jensen built
the Mopar powered Interceptors for almost ten years even though I
don't think they ever built more than a few hundred cars each model year.

tony..