<VV> Air Cooling

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Tue Oct 25 23:16:48 EDT 2005

Hi Tom,

You're correct that it's a flaw.  The short history is that the
original "folded fin" cooler had sides so there was no gap there.  When
Chevy changed to the "plate" design apparently nobody noticed this
problem.  Later on (around '67 or '68) Chevy realized this and created
add on side shields, I have a set for a 12 plate cooler.  They're
pretty easy to make, I just did some out of aluminum for the 110 for
the "parts" Corsa and started a new oil cooler page with a couple
photos:

http://autoxer.skiblack.com/oil-cooler.html

Note that the outboard shield has a tab that fits under the screw clip
for the top cover.  Hope that helps.

--Bryan