<VV> Petronix Improvements

Rad Davis rad.davis at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 27 21:56:16 EDT 2005

Completely true.  The only difference of any importance between the Spyder
and Corsa tachs is the 90 degree versus 120 degree sweep meter
movements.  The movements are, however, electrically identical.  So there
was a fully solid-state electronic component available as an option
starting in '61.

Interestingly, the radios didn't go fully solid-state until some time
later, although the oldest Corvair radios I have seen already had
transistor output amplifiers.

My dog in the ignition fight is that electronic ignition, while
theoretically more complex than points, is in practice much simpler:  You
put it in and set it up and then it works until you have worn the engine
out or (if you weren't attentive to temperatures and voltages) the ignition
conks out and you put another in.

I'll also agree with Seth that I have yet to get a Corvair distributor with
points to go past about 4800 RPM (crank) on the bench without getting point
bounce (I was using a points distributor base as a signal source for tach
calibration before I got a square wave generator).  And the cruddy point
plate design definitely doesn't help with durability or with timing
precision - who ever decided that dwell change with vacuum advance change
was OK?  Was it the same person who decided that a steel-on-steel pivot
bushing was OK?  Both were bad decisions.  And while we're at it, why do
the V8 guys get a cute little window for adjusting point gap/dwell with the
engine running and we have to take the cap off and diddle with screws and
feeler gauges?

To heck with it all - make mine electronic, please.  I'll keep a point
plate with points and a matchbook in the glovebox, just in case.

-Rad Davis