<VV> Points to ponder

Rad Davis rad.davis at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 28 16:51:19 EDT 2005

The "real men" trick I learned was a piece of vacuum hose behind the
points.  It worked too, although it was and is a crappy, short-term hack
with bad consequences for the rubbing block on the points.

I'll agree that there's a place for "ultra engineering" a certain class of
old car.  But "ultra" and performance tend to be mutually exclusive.

Re the point bounce on the distributor machine - the *best* combination of
parts I could come up with had point bounce at 4800.  The first one I tried
went into bounce below 4000.

I would have been incredulous, except that I had experienced exactly this
on my first "performance" corvair - a '65 140 Corsa coupe.  It would rip
right up to about 4500 RPM and fall on its face.  I cleaned carburetors,
zero-lashed valves, changed points (several times).  What cured it was
changing to an ignitor.  It also cold-started better.

It's distinctly possible that the point springs for the 6 cyl chevy
distributor we use have gotten weaker in the generic replacement parts of
decades later.  I'd be curious to try an original set of DELCO points from
the '60s on the distributor machine.  I would also wonder if DELCO spec'd
in different points for the 140 from the factory, but didn't list them as
replacement parts.  It seems like it would be awfully hard for the
dealership to sell a 140 corvair (with the additional expense involved) if
the thing wouldn't actually pull harder above 4000 than a 110 would.

Rad Davis