<VV> Points to ponder

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Fri Oct 28 17:52:35 EDT 2005

>It's distinctly possible that the point springs for the 6 cyl chevy
>distributor we use have gotten weaker in the generic replacement parts of
>decades later.  I'd be curious to try an original set of DELCO points from
>the '60s on the distributor machine.  I would also wonder if DELCO spec'd
>in different points for the 140 from the factory, but didn't list them as
>replacement parts.  It seems like it would be awfully hard for the
>dealership to sell a 140 corvair (with the additional expense involved) if
>the thing wouldn't actually pull harder above 4000 than a 110 would.

You might be on the right track here. Before I went electronic, I had unacceptable performance about about 4000rpm. I went to a hotter coil (which helped at
first then burnt the points quickly), then went to a set of heavy duty points (first from Accel then from places like the Source) which had a much, much stronger
spring. This helped considerably...

Bill