<VV> "Points" to ponder - Pertronix Issues

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Oct 29 02:07:42 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/28/2005 5:50:36 AM Pacific Standard Time, pp2 at 6007.us
writes:
So it was racing and high performance that led to the development
of  transistor ignitions, not smog. If you get a chance to see any NASCAR
footage of the interior of GM race cars in the 60's and 70's, many had a
pair of Delcotronic amplifiers (if one failed, ignition could be switched
to the other) on the passenger side of the dash.
The development? Yes - The standardization across the board, Smog and
warrantee. The HEI was not a great high RPM performer, as produced.

I  liked the earlier units as well. I had one of the drop in mag triggers
from GM for the small diameter caps. One of the mid-year Corvettes, 66, I think.

The current NASCAR teams still use the double set-up. Of course the ignition
systems are absolutely controlled by NASCAR out of fear of traction control. -
Seth