<VV> Radio niggle

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Oct 31 12:58:06 EST 2005

At 10:00 hours 10/29/2005, Padgett wrote:

>>By the way, the smallest car radios Delco made until the X-body car
>>radios came around were the space-charge tube type radios of the early 60s.
>
>Smaller than the 1957 Pontiac Sportable ?
>
>Padgett

Not quite up on many later '50s vintage car radios, at least not that
one.   How big was it?   And was it one of those pull-outs that you
could carry around with you, used a couple of batteries, one for
filaments and one for B voltage?   I'd not call those genuine "car
radios" but they did have some style and charisma of their
own.    The later vintage Delco space charge tube type radios would
fit inside a  shoe box with room to spare.

I have an early 1950s vintage portable radio with mini-tubes (no
sockets, they're wired into the circuitry), uses two batteries for
filaments and plates, about the size of a VHS videotape although a
little thicker... most of the size is to accommodate the
batteries.    AM only... novelty item since I'm not likely to go out
and chase down the (expensive) batteries it requires just to see if
it works although I'm willing to bet that it does.   Those things
never seemed to wear out, usually got damaged/destroyed first.

I need to chase down a photo of that Sportable radio, see what it
looks like, not seen one before.

tony..