<VV> Engine lift.

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Sep 1 15:21:55 EDT 2005

In a message dated 9/1/2005 10:44:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pp2 at 6007.us
writes:

$49.95 in this weeks Pep Boyz advt (59.95 + $10 rebate) also. Is  this a
good way to lift a Corvair engine ?

Padgett

When Costco had them on sale a few years ago, I bought one. About 6 months
later, I lent it to a friend (still in the box) He assembled it and added a
wooden platform to better accept the oil pan area on the Vair motor. After I got
 it back, I used it to remove and re-install the powertrain in a late model I
was  repairing. It is sensitive to height of the car, ypou might have to
lower the  front end of the car to get the powertrain out after you have dropped
it down.  It kind of depends on how you lift your car. It was quite easy to
remove the  powertrain and much safer than balancing it on a floor jack. (Done
that dozens  of times before). It turns both the removal and replacement into
safe one-person  jobs. Since they have casters, it provides a roll-around
storage for the motor  as well. About all I would like to have different would be
some type of adjuster  to increase or decrease the rake of the contact surface.
That would help the  "angle-of-attack" during the install. Be sure to check
for "beefiness" at the  welds and at the point where the jacking  handle engages
the mechanism.  That is the only weak point on mine. I will re-inforce it at
some point. The  handle is also used to move the unit around and, on mine, can
easily bend or  distort the coupler tube that is welded to the jack. -  Seth