<VV> reserve oil - didn't lisen? - no corvair, in case you couldnt guess

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Sep 2 15:19:25 EDT 2005

At 05:27 hours 09/02/2005, werp knarly wrote:
>maybe if we had truly listened,

I'm not trying to  induce a debate or start any arguments, but:

>     - realized the world uses 320 billion kW hours of energy per day
>          and growing

...as the population continues to grow.   Perhaps if population
controls were enacted...?

>    - know that non-renewable resources means
>          NON-RENEWABLE

I believe most people understand that...  they just ignore it and buy
a 11 mpg 2.5 ton SUV anyway.

>    -  and had built huge wind farms,

Not practical in most areas of the USA...

>           china is building the largest farm, germany is building
> the largest windmill

...in spots where there are prevailing winds to run them.

>    -  promoted bio-fuels,
>           gas and diesel from organic matter and waste bio products

We're doing this as we speak.   It's expensive.    Keep in mind that
there's no real shortage of petroleum.   There's a shortage of common sense.

>    -throw in several dozen solar farms

Again, not practical for large amounts of energy with the existing
technology at hand.   Future advances in tech may change this.

>    - spent a billion on these technologies instead of 2 billion in iraq

Iraq was a large festering thorn that needed the
attention.   Ignoring it could have cost us MUCH more than it
has.   Much much more.

>then we could be getting 30-40 percent of our energy from renewable resources
>    any maybe the gulf waters would not be so HOT,

The gulf is warm because the sun is getting hotter as is everything
else on the planet.   This is a natural phenomenon that we can do
nothing about.   We're still emerging from an ice age and it's been
happening for many thousands of years and it's gonna keep happening.

Also keep in mind that it is not a natural state for this planet to
have ice on its poles.  Many scientists agree that for appx 70% of
its lifetime since the planet stabilized and has supported life,
there was no ice on the surface anywhere.   Solar cycling is
currently melting the remaining ice and will continue to do so.

We can expect weather changes to accompany this warming.   Again,
there's nothing we can do about it.

>  so the hurricane would no have been so destructive, don't forget
> the worst of the storm missed new orleans!

The hurricane was a stroke of bad luck.   It was actually no worse
than a lot of other storms that ravaged the coastlines  of the USA
over time.   This one just happened to sucker punch an area that was
a disaster waiting to happen.

>    and maybe the caribou could still live a worry free life,

By the way:

Caribou populations in Alaska and Canada have increased since the
pipeline.   There are reports of caribou collecting around the
pipelines using them as wind breaks and huddling up close to the
pipes for the warmth during severe weather.

Nobody ever seems to say much about THAT...

>        btw melting tundra is making a mess out the artic regions,
> road and buildings             are collapsing

If we could stop the solar temperature cycling maybe we could prevent
the tundra from thawing.   Then again, it has thawed before, over and
over again and again.   Nothing stopped it then and nothing will stop it now.

Besides, this has happened multitudes of times in Earth's
history.   There were no greenhouse gas emissions from SUVs to cause
the last ice age's initial demise.

It's easy to criticize humankind for the woes of the world.   But
what if we're not responsible?    What would the extremists
environmentalists have to complain about then?

Time to take this to TALK if anyone is interested.

tony..