<VV> Katrina & Norbert Voll/69 Monza

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Fri Sep 2 20:22:47 EDT 2005

Hey guys,
I drove up to Louisville in my 64 sedan with a bunch of tools and parts to
meet up with a High School friend of mine, Dale Gardner, and he just happens to
live NEXT DOOR to Norbert Voll's cousin (I don't know his name, but he's said
something to me each time I've been there in a 'vair)... He said Norbert is
safe, but some of his cars have a bit of water damage (go figure)... my buddy
said "Hey, I've got a CDL... lets go get 'em!"... I told him I have plenty of
Corvairs... on the border of too many... Norbert's "cuz" said he was safe and
had food and a roof over his head... but expect to see him sell some of his
water damaged 'vairs... I told him "Thank God he and the family are safe" (from
the way he talked they were with a large number of relatives, but I didn't press
the issue)...
Anyway, after Dale and Kenny (I've known Kenny since 3rd grade, if you can
believe THAT!) got to the 69 Monza they carried the parts and tools to the car
and watched me work.... took the MAXI fuse holder and installed a 50 amp fuse
(I might keep a 60 amp spare) and put a new battery cable end on the + cable...
cut the old end off the - cable and installed a new one... removed the
alternator and installed my spare "47 AMP" alternator I had on my old 65 Monza that
had A/C... took the spark plugs out and squirted a little oil into the holes,
told Kenny to turn the key on and see if the switch worked... no go... so I
took a wire and jumped the purple wire to the + cable and it started cranking...
I reinstalled the plugs and checked the fluids... needed a quart of oil, so I
put half in.. and I had some ATF for the PG... it was 1/2 qt low, too... once
it started there was one lifter that didn't want to pump up... I poured the
rest of the ATF In the engine and they looked at me like I was crazy... well,
crazier than usual... I said "Listen..."... in 30 seconds it pumped up... they
were like "WOW! Cool trick! Where'd ya learn that?"
So, with 3/4 of a tank of year old gas I started on my 70 mile trek... all
but 3 miles were Expressway... it will do a sustained 75-80 MPH, but the tires
need replaced... will look into that soon... The rear suspension feels way
stiffer than any LM I've ever had... I'll have to get in it and see what the build
sheet says... the engine sounds a little high strung, so I need to check the
timing and the idle settings... brakes are fine, as is the tranny.
The blower motor works, the radio works, and I didn't have to replace the
Pertronix, but he DOES have it hooked up solely to the coil... I'll do some
looking at that soon, too, and fix the wiring if needed.
All in all a wonderful day!
I'll be playing with the new 'vair this weekend, since Cheryl and the girls
have gone up to see her parents in Northern Ky... they will be back Monday, and
I'm to tend to the animals... feed and water the cats, dogs, and those two
damned goats Cheryl loves so much... rotten beasts got out while the river was
down and ate my Lilacs, Roses, and all my flowers... the 4.75 inches of rain we
got here has brought the river (and my well water) back up to a respectable
depth... it's a shame at what a cost...
Well, I wanted to share that info with ya...
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier 110/pg,
1963 Greenbrier 110/4spd.
1964 700 sedan 95/pg