<VV> Tacking Strips

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sat Sep 3 14:11:17 EDT 2005

At 06:17 hours 09/02/2005, Geoffrey A Johnson wrote:
>Thanks to Tony for his awesome suggestion.  On the way home I
>stopped by a truck stop, and found an old mud flap. Cut into pieces
>it is the perfect thickness etc... I now have the front bow lip
>done.  Now, at the front bow where the pads tack on, are the
>"screws" actually screws or are they rivets with phillips heads?  I
>cant get them out, on either the car or a parts top I have.  Should
>I drill them and retap, or will they come out?

Most of what I've seen has been rivets but someone else Back In Time
could have removed the rivets and replaced them with screws, done it
myself.  They usually get "welded" in place via natural forces and
alien influence.   You might chip  out the wasted tack strip material
and try a good soaking with blaster and see if the screws (if that's
what they are) will come out.  No tapping required; they're sheet
metal screws.   All the fasteners need to do is secure that outside
length of tack strip... rivets, screws, whatever.  It's not
critical.   Don't forget to clean that channel out so the
weatherstrip cement has something to stick to.

...and keep in mind the other tricks and suggestions from others on
the list; some smart people in here.

tony..