<VV>Vacuum Readings at 45 mph

UltraMonzaWest at aol.com UltraMonzaWest at aol.com
Sat Sep 3 14:31:29 EDT 2005

In a message dated 9/3/2005 10:12:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
djtcz at comcast.net writes:

> What is vacuum at 45 mph in 3rd vs 4th with a manual transmission?

Unfortunately the all depends on terrain, overall gearing, and the position
of your FOOT!

That being said....I would expect to see 10-11 inches in 4th@ 45 /
cruising.........13-16 in third......  Level ground.

For years I ran sans VA......but Jim B.  convinced me that I could get more
with a VA....if I "tuned it" to do what I want....

I try to keep 32-36 deg. Total advance above 2500 rpm...and let a VA get me
6-10 deg. more when vacuum is above 10in...

Interesting note:       In the early 80's...a person drove a V W Rabbit
Diesel from Los Angeles to Las Vegas in 3rd gear!   He achieved 92 mpg!   The
Rabbit was normally a 30-35 mpg car.....

Funny note.........

My co workers wondered what the several small boxes delivered by UPS
were......I told them I had brought my Sun Distributor Machine to my site to recurve
distributors for fellow Corvair owners.......My manager says, " I can't wait to
see you answer when they [company inspectors] ask about it".......

Recently during the inspection of the site I'm responsible for........the
Inspector asked what THAT machine was used for?   What item did we calibrate with
it?

I held up a Corvair distributor........." Oh..I see,  looks like you people
are really doing a great job here",  said he!      LOL!     The Company
Pipeline Engineer  asked me later, quietly, if I could do his HEI   dist. for his
racer

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Mr. DeckRug