<VV> Vapor lock revisited

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 4 03:42:11 EDT 2005

The engine is still warm and you have either a weak battery or a weak
starter.  Not enough "ooomph" to turn it over.  THIS is a guess.

As I recall, but could be wrong since I did not go look up your original
email, you did not provide enough information (on the first or the latest)
email to make an even half way intelligent diagnosis.  All you said was that
it would not start.  You did not describe whether or not the engine turns
over and does not start or if it does not do anything or if there are any/or
no sounds that you hear.  This time, you DID say that this happens after
only a 2 mile drive.  So, I'm inclined to think that it is the battery and
that 2 miles is not recharging it enough for a re-start on the warm engine.
I assume this is a generator?  ??  How are the brushes?

You did not get an answer earlier because there was not enough information
upon which to make a suggestion.  Now, I've gone out on a limb and made a
couple of suggestions.  So, when it turns out not to be either, do NOT send
me the bill for the battery or the starter.  Hell, it could just be
corrosion on the terminals.

PS..  I don't consider myself a guru on Corvairs.  I've only been around
them for about 15 years or so.  Smitty is the most knowledgeable "guru" with
practical experiences on VV.  Unfortunately, he was in the midst of a few of
them and several hundred miles from home at the time you asked your
question.

BTW - it is highly unlikely that this is a "vapor lock" situation, so
perhaps the subject line is misleading folks with their suggestions.

Later, JR