<VV> strange noise from my Corsa rear end

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Sun Sep 4 11:29:09 EDT 2005

I agree with Ed's diagnosis of pinion bearing (there are two, one front, one
rear - the front usually goes first - I'd suggest you replace both).
     Rebuilding a differential is a whole science unto itself (I've done it
three times - maybe ONCE really right, but close DOES count). If you're not
in the mood to tackle this yourself, consider a rebuilt from one of the
vendors (Underground offers these), or just a used known-good one. One thing
about diff damage: it spreads from the intially failing part to other parts
that can continue to be used if you intervene before the damage spreads.
Transmissions are like this, too, as are (human) teeth, for example. And the
parts in question can be expensive.
     My advice: pull that diff and, if you're the curious sort, take it
apart (it isn't hard to take apart, nor even to put back together, but on
the reassembly there are a number of interacting adjustments, the sum of
which is critical to longevity and noise of the results). Then decide where
you go from there - there is much expertise on VV about differentials, along
with everything else.
     Check this when you get your pinion shaft out: my front bearing FELT
fine on turning it, but when I went to remove it, I found it had SPUN on the
pinion shaft. I replaced not only the bearing but the $haft as well (there
are cheaper fixes for mild cases). And I blame this for strange (not loud)
noises I had heard from the rear of my Corsa.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C