<VV> One Small Step, Part II

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Sun Sep 4 11:49:16 EDT 2005

Good pix. From outside, your engine looks to have been used reasonably, and
to be in reasonable shape. Transmission . . . well, you've got the right
view in mind. You could probably keep using it if you chose to.
     Do not cut your head nuts off. Do all you can to unscrew them from
their studs (apply multiple Vise-Grips to studs when turning nuts, use PC
Blaster+time liberally). You will probably fail in a few instances and the
stud will unscrew from the crankcase (this is what you're trying to avoid).
IF the stud threads that screwed into the crankcase did not bring out a lot
of aluminum with them, clean both them and their holes well and screw the
studs back into the block. The threads here are a slight interference fit -
check for insertion torque per the instructions in the Shop Manual (study
these closely). If you get anything like the specified torque, you're good
to go. If you don't, you will have to purchase oversize-thread studs from
the vendors (and you would have done just as well to cut the nuts off, but
that still is hardly necessary).
     If, on the other hand, your stud brings out a lot of aluminum with it,
you will have to drill out the hole and insert a new steel thread. That's a
whole project in its own right, and it is NOT covered in the Shop Manual. It
IS covered well in books such as Bob Helt's Classic Corvair
(bobhelt at aol.com), and in the Tech Guide. Cross that bridge when you get to
it.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA